WTF!? British Pre-Teens Wearing "Shag Bands"?

Sex/Relationship News from the Web

WTF!? British Pre-Teens Wearing "Shag Bands"?

Postby youBetcha » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Would you let your daughter wear a "shag band"?

Sarah Williams was taking her usual weekend drama class for eight and nine-year-olds when she noticed that one girl, a sweet, well-mannered child, was wearing a wristful of prettily coloured jelly bracelets. “If a boy snaps the yellow one you have to give him a hug,” said the girl. “Oh,” said teacher, trying to show an interest, “and what about that blue one?” The little girl leant to whisper in her ear: “That means you have to give him oral sex.”

This is not the teacher’s real name but it is a true story. It is one of several similar tales I have heard around the country while researching the phenomenon of “shag bands” — the playground craze for wearing bracelets of different colours that are supposed to signify escalating grades of sexual activity up to full coitus (that’s the black bracelet, by the way).

Many parents are horrified that, even if children don’t understand what such terms mean, primary school pupils as young as 8 are using explicit sexual terminology because of a fashion fad. Some schools have already banned the bracelets amid lurid newspaper headlines such as “Bracelet which means your child is having SEX” (The Sun). The Wakefield MP Mary Creagh has demanded that “shag bands” be withdrawn from sale in Poundland and has raised the issue with Ed Balls, the Children’s Secretary. “This is about the coarsening and cheapening of childhood,” she says. “Our precious children should not be exposed to this kind of stupidity for commercial profit.”

It is certainly ugly. But should we keep some perspective? Sexually charged playground crazes are nothing new. Kiss chase did not, admittedly, carry quite the same level of concern as a game that may, in theory, end with one small child saying to another “flash your tits” (pink bracelet) and much (much) worse, but there is a risk that banning such bracelets may make them seem even “cooler”. One teacher on the Times Educational Supplement website writes: “They are bracelets — nothing more, nothing less. If the kids wearing them want to attach silly labels to them, let them. I very much doubt they actually act on it.”

Has anyone else heard of this. Am I going to make an old statement? Why yes, I think I am. WE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING LIKE THIS WHEN I WAS THAT AGE! I thought the brits were supposed to be frigid?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
youBetcha

Re: WTF!? British Pre-Teens Wearing "Shag Bands"?

Postby Starshine » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:38 am

We didn't do anything like this either...but then I don't think I even thought about sex until I was fourteen years old...which for those of you who don't know me was in 1957 lol.

I'm not sure "banning" it would probably make it more popular; we've banned tons of things, the thrill of which died off and crawled away. Just for the record, I wouldn't let my daughter wear one.
Starshine

Re: WTF!? British Pre-Teens Wearing "Shag Bands"?

Postby Emma » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:58 pm

I am a high school teacher and "shag bands" are banned. However, as you can no doubt remember, something being banned doesn't mean it stops. IT is a MASSIVE craze over here and so disheartening to see. Gold and black are the most sought after bands as gold means anything goes. You are supposed to wear bands to signify what you are prepared to do. I confiscate some every day. So strange.

As for Brits being frigid, I beg to differ ;) :D
Emma

Return to News Stories