Woman Falls Victim To Prank Craigslist Sex Ad

Sex/Relationship News from the Web

Postby AskTheCouch » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:57 pm

OMAHA, Neb. --
An Omaha woman said she was the victim of an online prank that brought strange men to her front door, looking for a good time.

Joann Smith said she called police after someone posted a bogus online classified ad on craigslist, claiming that she was hosting a sex party last Thursday.

"(It said) sex party, starting at 10:30 today," she said, reading from the ad. "Everyone is welcome, the more the merrier. Straight, bi, gay, you are all welcome."

At the time of the bogus party, an unknown man knocked on her door and others were waiting in the driveway.

"(I thought) why are people just showing up at my house? You could see people driving by. They were going really slow. It was freaking me out."

She said that a second man stopped by, followed by a third.

"I'm crouching in the kitchen, scared to death," Smith said.

She said four men had knocked on her door before one of them mentioned the ad.

"He says, 'Well, there's actually an ad out there that says there's supposed to be sex party,'" she said. " And I go, 'At this place?'"

She said eight men showed up at the house before police responded.

"What if someone was really in the mood and decided to push his way in and didn't care, you know? I was a coward in my kitchen, bawling my eyes out, trying to get ahold of people," Smith said.

Police said it's a case of harassment and they're looking into it. But Omaha City Prosecutor Marty Conboy said the case may go nowhere.

"There's no direct protection from an indirect harassment," he said.

He said that in a prank like that one, investigators have to work backward from the original post and try to find out whose e-mail address is attached. He said the hard part is proving who actually posted the sex party ad.

"They're difficult now. With the computer age, you don't even have to be in the same city, which makes it more difficult, but it's not impossible to interview the right suspect," Conboy said.

He said that Smith could get a protection order against anyone she believes is harassing her in this way.

Smith said she not only wants that person caught, but she's adding more security and reducing the amount of time her children spend on the Internet.

"What if I wouldn't have been here? They would have been here," she said. "I mean to do something like that, it's not funny. It's scary, and now I have to worry when somebody drives by my house."

Ah Craigslist. Why won't people just use your powers for good?
;)
AskTheCouch

Return to News Stories